Look at me, staying in touch!

Last night, I crawled into bed at 2 a.m.  I’d managed to turn in my small writing assignment only 23 hours past its deadline.

Five hours later, the dog knocked at my bedroom door.

She really did.  I’m not sure how since she has no knuckles, but I headed downstairs to find paper towels because when I walked over to open the door, I stepped in a wet spot on the carpet. Nice.

(Or maybe that was the morning before.)

At any rate, this morning I had to work for an hour, then gather up Grace and her school books for our bi-weekly meeting with her teacher.  I hate going to that meeting because I feel like the teacher is always trying to catch us doing something wrong.  Then after the meeting’s over, I say, “That wasn’t so bad.”

We had to hurry home after the meeting because I remembered that I needed to clean up the yard so the landscaping people could mow the lawn and all that without smooshing dog poop with their shoes.

It wasn’t as bad as it sounds–the cleaning up of the poop–because the weather was so delightful today.  Seventy degrees, pure blue skies.  My roses are growing and look great, a big improvement over last summer’s green-worm-infested leaves.

When the yard was clean, Grace and I headed to Rubio’s for lunch.  We picked up Zach after school–early dismissal–then I started my normal four hour shift.

My husband called to let me know that a college buddy may be stopping by, so at 5 p.m. I asked the kids for help and we did a quick declutter of the house and put the dishes in the dishwasher.  One of my sons can’t understand the concept of cleaning up before company arrives–he considers it some kind of false advertising, I guess.

After the company left, I headed upstairs, read a little (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo) and then took a nap before work.

Starting work at nine, finished up at 12:30 a.m. and now I’m heading to bed.

Tomorrow all the kids have activities, but only one directly involves me (Grace’s soccer) and the weather is expected to be excellent, so watching an hour of soccer while sitting outdoors will be nice.  I’m hoping to stop by the beach at some point.  It’s been too long since I’ve seen the sun set and gotten sand in my sneakers while dodging foamy waves.

3 thoughts on “Look at me, staying in touch!

  1. Oh my goodness! Two days in a row! I stand shocked and amazed, lol! Keep it up, Mel!

    My day started at 6:30 am and didn’t end until almost 10 pm last nite. When I got on Facebook to play a game to relax before going to bed one of my west coast friends messaged me “You’re up late!!!” 8 pm to bed is late for me, but my days start not long after your day ends. But this is the last of them for a while as Other Grandma is due in town this weekend and will be staying until after Memorial Day. She’ll be doing the day care for a while, then we may share it depending on how pooped she gets, too…she’s 6 years older than me, lol! With that said, I’ve got taxes and getting new carpet installed on the agenda. Dear Hubby is leaving for a week’s vacation in Portland on Tuesday to visit his frail mother and family. Me…a week TOTALLY alone?!? I can’t remember the last time that happened except for 5 days in the mid-80s when I went to the beach by myself, totally exhausted and beyond burned out. I’m going to the little book store in the main library later today and stocking up on something to read. Paperbacks for $1 and a GREAT selection.

    Enjoy your weekend!


  2. So hope you had time to stop and have some dinner.

    But thanks for the post. You keep TOO busy..

    I have 6 empty file cabinet drawers empty, and the 7th is over half empty. Have 1 empty box and 3 big bags full of papers to take out to the recycle bin. Yay! Plus, my closet is almost all clean – took things out, organized clothes by color, have 2 big piles of clothes to take to the thrift store, found just about every color of purse they make, found jewelry I love but had misplaced. So, I have made lots of progress this week.

    Why, you ask? Why the filing cabinet, the boxes, the closet all in the same week, all at once?

    It’s because of the one stack of papers I really, really need – and can’t find! Although my hip and leg hurt a whole lot, I think papers might just be the death of me!

    Had someone come over and look underneath the bed; stood on a step stool to look at the stuff piled high in the coat closet and above the filing cabinets – but no missing papers. Cleaned the closet; know the kitchen is free of papers.

    In your spare time, would you please come help me look? I really have to have those papers for a writing project I’m doing. Or pray that I find them.


You know you want to comment here:

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s